Browndale Fire Company No.1
is located in Clinton Township, Wayne County, PA. We operate an engine
company and a ladder company, out of a station located on Route
247 (Marion Street in the Village of Browndale), a subdivision of Clinton
We protect an area of 38
square miles in Clinton Township and in 2011 will assume first due responsibilities
for the Borough of Vandling (Lackawanna County). As a result, we
work very closely with our neighboring emergency services, Forest City
Area Emergency Services.
To the east, in the rural
non-hydranted area of the township, Waymart Fire Company (Station 75),
Prompton Fire and Rescue (Station 94) and Pleasant Mount Emergency Services
(Station 28), a from Wayne County, PA.
The village of Browndale
is are afforded hydrant protection, but the remaining 37 square miles that
comprise Clinton Township are rural and does not have hydrants. The Borough
of Vandling has hydrant protection.
Browndale Fire Co. was organized
in 1913. It consisted of about twenty-five men who felt that the
village of Browndale needed fire protection. One of the first fire
stations was in the location of the Jack Bailey residence on Marion Street.
The fire station during
the 1940's and early 1950's housed a trade school until August of 1951
when the building burned down despite efforts of local firemen. We
lost everything including our fire apparatus. Immediately after the
fire, plans were in operation to rebuild. The present fire station and
banquet hall were built upon the same site as the old building.
The building began it's
renovation and addition process in the 1960's with new additions and renovations
taking place about every 5 years. The building consisted of a banquet hall
that seated 300 people, a full service kitchen area, bar area, three storage
areas, a two-bay apparatus room and an apartment above the apparatus room
for one of its members.
After feeling many growing
pains, the company set in motion a master plan to upgrade services. In
order to do the, the existing fire station would have to undergo extensive
renovations or a new station would be needed. After much soul-searching,
the company opted to construct a new fire station. The new station,
which is north of the existing station on 620 Marion Street was dedicated
in October 2006.
A $30 million project made
gave our first due the largest
wind farm in PA.
The population of our first
due area will continue to grow with construction in several residential
Fire wipes out fire house
Our fire station and apparatus
was destroyed by a devastating fire in 1951.
The membership consists
of about 30 active members.